Flexslider

Sheol's Request

Ifa Olokun Asoro dayo
To the earth I throw the seeds
I seek to build a nest of request in the air
May orunmila carry them to Olodumaare's feet

Give me the Ancient wand
Lest I visit the witch of Endor
Some coins for the boatman
That he might open the gate to sheol

A table I seek with the sages
The kola of words we must share
A simple line I desire to ask
For the boatman waits to shut the door

I know of them that loves that loves without guile
That gives without cause, forgiving without itch
Beautiful at heart, and a joy to behold
Tell me ye sages, How to Love like a child?

Amudipe Opeyemi Marcus

End notes..
Sheol- place of death
Olodumare- God
Ifa Olokun, Asoro Dayo- Praises lines found in the Ifa corpus [oracular divinity]
Boatman- A mythical character In the Greek culture believed to carry the dead to the land of the death, coins are usually placed on the dead's face as payment for the boatman.
Witch of Endor- A biblical character, who was once visited by king Saul
Orunmila- Yoruba god of knowledge

Olatuja Oloyede

Beyond the flawless facade is a boy on the path of self-discovery.

No comments:

Leave a Reply